The Tablet Lending Library was designed for seniors in isolation, low-income families and new immigrants living in the Oliver, Osoyoos and Okanagan Falls areas. It allows them to connect with friends, family, government agencies and the business community. The program comes with training on handling, how to use, internet security and fraud prevention. All tablets, stylus and cases are the property of Desert Sun Counselling and Resource Centre Society.
The TAPS Lending Library features 30 tablets pre-loaded with relevant information for seniors registered in our program. Tablets are available from our TAPS coordinator by calling Bonnie at 250-408-4128, The office is closed Friday, Saturday, Sunday and all statutory holidays. Covid-19 protocols require masks and hand sanitizing is required when entering our offices.
- Currently enrolled TAPS participants are entitled to borrow iPads, along with low-income families and new immigrants.
- The privilege of borrowing is a personal one and may not be transferred.
- The loan period for program participants is 120 days with a renewal period of 365 days for low-income seniors, families and new immigrants unless recalled (see below for information).
- Prompt return of material is the personal responsibility of the individual borrower.
- Failure to receive a notice does not absolve the borrower of the responsibility to renew or return the item to the library in a timely manner.
- All items are subject to recall. The borrower is guaranteed 120 total days with items. Recalled items should be returned to the TAPS Coordinator on or before the due date.
- The borrower is responsible for notifying the library immediately if library material is damaged, missing or lost.
- We will collect tablet security codes and email addresses to allow for the secure clearing of your personal information from the tablet when returned.
A participant’s borrowing privileges will be suspended if the borrower:
- fails to respond to recall requests in a timely fashion.
- fails to return tablet within the designated return date.
iPad Training Provided
Once you have your iPad you can sign up for some training modules.
- Setting up your iPad
- Graphic user interfaces (where to point)
- Apps, where to get them and why
- Setting up and using email
- Camera app
- Zoom and Skype
- Games 2
- Productivity apps
- Web browser uses and functions
- Social Media 101