It takes many generous hearts and willing hands to build a safe, inclusive, healthy community for all.
Your dollars and/or volunteer time make a critical difference right here in our community! Thanks to the generosity of local community members, we are able to:
- Help families break the cycle of violence and abuse
- Counsel children and youth at risk, women experiencing abuse, and men experiencing stress and isolation,
- Operate a 24/7 Crisis Phone Line
- Provide a Safe Home to women in urgent need,
- Offer resources and opportunities for isolated community members to connect and build relationships
- Support seniors to live independently at home
- And so much more
We'd love to have you join us:
Due to the sensitive nature of the work we do, we aren’t able to include volunteers in many of our programs. However, we are very grateful for volunteer support in certain capacities. We have the following volunteer opportunities currently open:
- Better at Home Drivers: come join our team of volunteer drivers who drive vulnerable seniors to appointments. The time commitment is flexible according to your schedule. For more information, contact our Better at Home program coordinator, Brittany, at Britt@desertsun.ca.
- Fundraising and Event volunteers: many of our programs are only able to run because of the generous contribution of funds from our communities. Fundraising and events are our #1 way to remind people of the work we do and to encourage donations. If you have expertise in event planning, graphic design or communications, we’d love to hear from you! Contact our office at email@example.com
- Pop-up information booths: help us share information in our communities about Desert Sun’s work. Once COVID-19 is safely behind us, we plan to once again host information booths at community events and pop-up locations. Contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Volunteers in our community kitchen and/or garden: Desert Sun makes and delivers more than 200 meals each week to vulnerable seniors and families. Many of the ingredients are grown in our community garden. More hands make light work in the garden or kitchen! Contact email@example.com
- Become a board member: are you a thoughtful, community-minded change-maker? We have room at our board table! Our Board of Directors provides strategic direction and strong governance to our organization. We are particularly (but not exclusively) interested in candidates who have previous experience with other boards and/or experience with any of the following: business management, fundraising, public relations/communications, youth & education, finance and legal. Board members must be at least 18 years of age and must be willing to attend one meeting per month and contribute effort to a board committee that suits their skills and interests. For more information, contact our board chair at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support our fundraisers
- We host several formal and informal fundraisers throughout the year. We'd love for you to attend our in-person and/or online events!
- Attend our Annual General Meeting
- Our next AGM will take place in September 2022. Date and location TBA
- Stay in touch
- Keep up with what's new and notable at Desert Sun through social media
- Donate to a specific program or to our organization in general. We rely on financial support from our community to be able to run our programs. As a registered charity, we are able to give tax receipts for any donation of $25 or more. We are committed to keeping our administration costs as low as possible.
- Do you know someone who is currently in need? Point them in our direction. People only access help when they know that help is available.